Naval Pickets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Naval Pickets

Post by Liemannen on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Naval Pickets.

If you are not playing a land locked country, naval pickets are a necessary early game build.

Why do you need pickets? Two primary reasons; first, they give you early warning, second, they free up troops from coastal defense. A good picket line will give you 1 to 2 hours advanced notice of incoming enemy convoys. Without naval picket lines, you would need to keep one land unit in each coastal province to alert you to incoming naval convoys or risk surprise landings of enemy troops.

There are two picket strategies, the pure picket and the picket tripwire.

The pure picket: In the pure picket you are simply positioning picket ships to ensure you have visibility over all approaches to your coastal provinces. This will allow you to spot incoming invasion convoys earlier giving you more reaction time to either intercept with naval forces or prepare coastal defenses. Very early in the game this is all you will be able to do as you won't have enough units to set up a trip wire.

The picket tripwire: In this variation of the picket, you not only position naval units for visibility of all approaches but also for direct interception. Naval units are place along all approach paths so that they may automatically intercept enemy convoys (provided DoW is in affect). The tripwire requires more naval units but has the benefit of giving you even more time to react as well as possibly getting some easy kills.

What units to use as pickets: You can use any naval vessel as a picket, however, due to the expendable nature of picket units and their early game deployment, subs and destroyers are the prime choices. I prefer subs, for their stealth capabilities and quick build times, backed up by destroyers, if I have the time and resources.

There are many other factors to consider when deploying pickets. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post them. I will be happy to address them.
Liemannen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top